Some dogs could care less about plants, greens and grazing and then there are some who you could graze for hours. My dog is one of those grazers and he loves to chow down on all types of plants and flowers no matter what his diet has in it. I’ve learned to accept it and let him graze. I am cautious however on what he is eating and to be sure I know the local plants and flowers that are poisonous and toxic to him and maybe not to humans. Here are few plants and flowers that are harmful to dogs and other pets that can cause multiple symptoms from mild to severe depending on the plant and how much they ingest or come in contact with.

Aloe plant- Aloe is toxic to both dogs and cats. Ingesting it can cause Vomiting, depression, diarrhea, anorexia, tremors, change in urine color.

Apple – Apple plants are toxic to horses, cats and dogs. They are toxic specifically when wilting. The stems, leaves and seeds all contain cyanide which is highly toxic. Ingestion of any of these parts of the apple plant can cause difficulty breathing, brick red mucous membranes, dilated pupils, panting or even shock.

Calla Lily-Calla Lilies are toxic to dogs and cats. They ingestion can cause intense burning and irritation of the mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling can occur with difficulty swallowing.

Cherry plant- Just like the apple plant the cherry plant also contains cyanide and is toxic to horses, cats and dogs. The stems, leaves and seeds are all toxic during the wilting stage and cause the same reaction as the apple plant.

Tobacco plant- The tobacco plant is toxic to horses, cats and dogs. The symptoms of ingesting this plant can cause hyperexcitability followed by depression, vomiting, incoordination, paralysis or even death from the symptoms themselves or from too much of the plant.

Japanese Yew/Yew- The Japanese Yew is extremely toxic to animals including horses, cats and dogs. Ingestion can lead to sudden death or acute cardiac failure. Muscular tremors or seizures can be a sign that your animal has ingested this plant and you should seek help immediately.

To find out more flowers and plants that could be toxic to your pets, check out the ASPCA website for a complete list with hundreds of toxic flowers and plants.